Seasons are sort of a foreign concept in California. As a result, when the weather finally drops below 80 at the end of October, this girl books it to Trader Joe's to hoard canned pumpkin and cinnamon brooms as if they are only available to the public during certain temperatures.
Tonight, the "cool" Fall weather inspired me to make this thick, creamy, vegan chai and I could not keep it to myself. Give it a try, or a chai, depending on how much you like puns.
Creamy Pecan Pumpkin Chai (serves 4)
3 cups water
2/3 cup pecans
1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
8 chai tea bags (I used Red Rooibos Chai)
1. Blend the water, pecans, banana and pumpkin until completely smooth.
2. Pour through a sieve, strainer, cheesecloth, or muslin bag (depends on how smooth you want it).
3. Add liquid mixture to a pot along with your chai tea bags and bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat. Take out the tea bags and add vanilla. If you're looking for a more decadent treat, drizzle in some honey.
5. Pour into your favorite mug, curl up by the fireplace channel on your TV and try to pretend it's not going to be 90 degrees this weekend. Also, sip cautiously (it's hot, yo!).