These aren't your average tortillas, but they have a surprisingly good flavor and texture for essentially consisting of nothing but cornmeal and flaxseeds. They're tender and flexible as the flaxseed "gel" binds them together so they're a perfect vessel for your mounds o' fixins. They also contain no oil, lard or butter.
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
3/4 cup water, plus 6 tablespoons for "flax egg"
1 cup fine corn meal or corn flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Combine ground flaxseed and water and set aside to form the gel-like substance known as a "flax egg".
2. Mix remaining ingredients together.
3. Combine flax mixture with corn meal mixture
4. Place a golfball-sized dollop of the tortilla batter onto floured surface and carefully roll out as thin as you can with breaking the dough.
5. Once your tortilla is about 4-5 inches in diameter, cook it on each side for 2-3 minutes. You'll notice the color start to change when it's almost ready to flip.
6. Remove from pan and proceed with your favorite tortilla-wrapped recipe. Try these Fruit Tacos with Homemade Corn Tortilla for something different!